Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Lilybrooke!

It may be a bit narcissistic to celebrate your own business's birthday. But, instead, I see it as an opportunity to eat cake (guilt free). It's hard to pin point the day my business really began. Some times I think it started when I began to take home office supplies, when I realized I was excited entering a Staples store, or maybe it was in the 6th grade when I made my mother bring me home the Wall Street Journal every night from her office.

You're either an entrepreneur, a risk taker, or you're not. I live and thrive in crisis. Isn't that really what event planning is all about - being the person who is willing to make a decision and willing to be responsible for that decision?

My business was a work in progress for many years before I had a tax ID. I've always believed that if you maintain a thought for longer than a year, you should act on that thought. So, on November 9, 2004, I walked into my appointment with my accountant and officially started Lilybrooke Events (well...it had a different name in the beginning, but the business model was the same). That meeting took 15 minutes and I was officially a small business owner.

Thank you to everyone who has been there to support, house, encourage and bounce ideas with me. I could not have done it without them. I look forward to many many more candles and pieces of cake - both birthday and wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment