Friday, November 6, 2009

Martha Stewart Living, April 1996

I remember the month. I remember the day. I remember the issue and where I was sitting as I read it. My first Martha Stewart Living magazine. I had recently moved to Washington, DC where magnolias were a new experience for me, but there they were, on the cover of this beautiful magazine. This one magazine has lasted the test of time on my list of must haves. I read it for design and style, I read it for inspiration, I read it for recipes. I often read it for the first time a month or even a year after I receive it.


Through the evolution of my career and my existence as a renter and later a home owner, going back through my years of Martha Stewart magazines has proved invaluable. I now own every issue since that first copy in April of 1996.


When planning a winter, fall, or summer, etc. party, I look back on the issues from the months of that season and see what the different issues had to offer. It helps me to gather ideas to spawn new creations. I'm still stunned at how often I look back, simply to move forward. But as Coco Chanel said "fashion passes, style remains."

As I get ready to move the Lilybrooke Boutique to its new location about two miles from its current home, I have been searching for ideas and ways to pull together my new blank canvas of a store. While looking at the current issue of Martha Stewart Living, it made note of the Decorating Issue from September 2005. I quickly jumped from my seat and pulled it from the shelf.

I can't wait to see if it gives me a fresh perspective on the design for the space. For now, it gave me an idea for my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment