Friday, October 23, 2009

My "Must Haves" when traveling

I just landed in Miami (directly after spending 7 days in Chicago). I'm often asked how I travel as much as I do. When I pack, I think through what my days away will consist of. I pick out my clothes and write down what I plan to wear each day (including shoes, jewelry, etc.) I then add a few of my favorite pieces as extras in case (and in hopes of!) something impromptu popping up. When I'm on a trip, I try to stick to the plan as much as possible, maybe switching the days around here and there if I don't feel like wearing a specific thing that day. It sounds boring and over-scheduled, but it's great to not have to think about what you are going to put on.

I also make sure I have my favorite things with me. My "must haves" for traveling.

#1 A Pashmina. Anyone who knows me, knows I don't leave the house without one. It fits easily in a handbag and is perfect if you're cold as a scarf, or as a blanket on an airplane. It can even roll into a makeshift pillow when needed. Everyone should have one. Scratch that. Everyone should have one in every color!

#2 My Make Up Give Train Case. Yes, it does actually take up 1/4th of my suitcase, but it includes anything that I need for my washroom routine. And everything has a place. I couldn't live without it. I've even given you a sneak peak into the inside of my case. https://www.shopgive.com/product_info.php?products_id=42








#3 My ipod. Of course. You never know when you're going to have an opportunity to explore the area with a run, so having my music with me provides even more incentive. And to this note, I will add my camera (and laptop). I don't leave home without them!










#4 Traveling with so many electronics means traveling with many cords to keep them all running. I have one bag specifically for all my electronics
- phone charger, camera charger, camera cord to upload photos, ipod charger,
and an extra USB because you never know...

#5 And finally, all of my items go in my Tumi bag that I adore. I rarely check my bag when traveling and since my suitcase is such a large part of my life, it's more of an accessory. A handbag. Good luggage is worth the investment. Good luggage with a great warranty is even better.

And now you know what makes traveling easier for me. I figured out what items I always had with me and then I gave them each a home in my suitcase. Of course there are the standards: eat fruits and veggies, drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep. And when going through security at the airport: put your items on the belt in the order that you want to take them off 1) shoes, 2) bag that holds laptop (so you can open it and have it ready, 3) laptop, 4) suitcase. And you're off!

Happy Travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment